[gridengine users] Supressing csh warning?

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 03:59:48 UTC 2011

Hi Mark,

Good that it's working for you -- I didn't know that you actually
installed a new cluster, instead of doing an in-place upgrade!

In case you are interested in the technical details... you are getting
this behavior because:

- "posix_compliant" is used (which is the default),
- "shell" in queue_conf(5) is set to csh (which is also the default), and
- "csh" is a "login shell" in sge_conf(5).

So SGE decides that it needs to start the script using a login shell
(by passing the "-" flag into csh)

In the csh manpage:

   Startup and shutdown
       A  login  shell  begins by executing commands from the system
files /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/csh.login.  It then executes commands
from files in the user’s home directory:
       first ~/.tcshrc (+) or, if ~/.tcshrc is not found, ~/.cshrc,
then ~/.history (or the value of the histfile shell variable), then
~/.login, and finally ~/.cshdirs (or  the
       value  of  the  dirsfile shell variable) (+).  The shell may
read /etc/csh.login before instead of after /etc/csh.cshrc, and
~/.login before instead of after ~/.tcshrc or
       ~/.cshrc and ~/.history, if so compiled; see the version shell
variable. (+)

And SGE manpages:

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/htmlman/htmlman5/queue_conf.html
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/htmlman/htmlman5/sge_conf.html

Thus the session sources more startup scripts, and causes the stty
warning message. When unix_behavior is used, then the job environment
does not source as many startup/login scripts, and thus the warning
messages do not appear. ;-D

Rayson