[gridengine users] PE batch job scheduled in interactive queue

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Feb 21 10:58:52 UTC 2011

Am 21.02.2011 um 11:31 schrieb Chris Jewell:

> On 18 Feb 2011, at 16:14, Reuti wrote:
>> The term "interactive" is more in a sense of "immediate". With "-now n", resp. "-now y", you can run an interactive job in a batch only queue or a batch job in an interactive only queue.
>>
>> For parallel jobs it's like an implied batch queue.
>>
>> The qtype in the queue definition will only be considered for interactive jobs in this case. But even if qtype is set to NONE (or BATCH), you can run a parallel interactive jobs by using "-now n" therein though.
>
> Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean.  How come /serial/ batch jobs wait in the batch.q queue without being started on the interactive.q,

In this case qtype is checked - it's set to INTERACTIVE and so no /serial/ batch job will start there. This is what you observe.

> whereas by parallel (smp) jobs get scheduled to the interactive.q?

By attaching a PE to a queue, it will imply a batch behavior if this PE is requested. It's not possible to setup an "interactive only" parallel-queue.

>   Moreover, I can submit my job as a vanilla serial job and it waits in batch.q as expected.  If I submit it as -pe smp 1, then it get scheduled to the interactive.q.  Is this really expected behaviour?

The workaround could be to use JSV to route it to the correct queue, but this is of course not a clean solution.

Maybe an RFE could be to remove the qtype setting in the queue configuration, and instead offer such a setting in an RQS:

{
    limit pes mpich qtypes batch to slots=0
}

where "qtypes" can have the values "batch" or "immediate" or the usual RQS combination thereof (which would also remove the confusion about "what is interactive").

-- Reuti