[gridengine users] Any way to limit "qsub -sync y" jobs per user?

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 17:30:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Patterson, Ron (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]
<patterso at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov> wrote:
> I'm confused - is the "-sync" option available to jsv in a newer version? Or is it still not possible to detect the use of "-sync" from jsv scripts?

Hi Ron,

To make you even more confused, "-sync" is not really a job parameter,
but a qsub parameter. What I mean is that "-sync y" just controls the
way how qsub connects to the qmaster & waits for job status, but it
does not specify the scheduling requirements of a job. So logically
JSV does not cover -sync. And no, -sync is not available to JSV in the
official Oracle Grid Engine releases or any SGE forks (at least not in
Open Grid Scheduler - http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/ ).

If you *really want* to hack qsub to make -sync pass to JSV, that
would be around half a day to a day of work (it's really not that
difficult), but keep in mind that client side JSV can be by-passed
easily. And if you want to to qmaster side JSV, then you are back to
square one because -sync is not available to the qmaster JSV code.

If you trust your users, then just use the same old useful technique
for job parameter validation back in the pre-JSV days - you will just
wrap around qsub with a script, and you can do whatever pre-processing
you want before the job gets submitted to qmaster.

Lastly, if you are concerned about performance, read this DanT's blog entry:

http://blogs.oracle.com/templedf/entry/performance_considerations_for_jsv_scripts

Rayson