[gridengine users] Any way to limit "qsub -sync y" jobs per user?

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Jun 2 17:32:03 UTC 2011

Rayson Ho <rayrayson at gmail.com> writes:

> To make you even more confused, "-sync" is not really a job parameter,
> but a qsub parameter. What I mean is that "-sync y" just controls the
> way how qsub connects to the qmaster & waits for job status, but it
> does not specify the scheduling requirements of a job. So logically
> JSV does not cover -sync.

Is JSV defined somewhere to deal with scheduling, rather than
submission?  It seems logical to have -sync available to a submission
verifier.

> Lastly, if you are concerned about performance, read this DanT's blog entry:
>
> http://blogs.oracle.com/templedf/entry/performance_considerations_for_jsv_scripts

I'm unconvinced in the absence of more realistic measurements with bash
or similar.  I think
http://arc.liv.ac.uk/repos/darcs/sge/source/dist/util/resources/jsv/jsv_include.sh
should normally only spawn 3 external commands for each onvocation under
bash -- 2  `date's, and 1 GE `arch'.  It doesn't need
read_raw and write_raw in particular.  Changes welcome for other shells.

On the other hand, security in server-side sh jsvs (running privileged)
would bother me.

--
Excuse the typping -- I have a broken wrist