[gridengine users] "Packing" jobs on nodes

James Gladden gladden at chem.washington.edu
Thu Jun 2 20:58:03 UTC 2011

Dave,

Our clusters are homogeneous, so we are trying to do a first-level sort
on "load" where the load formula is simply "slots".  If it did this much
correctly I could happily ignore it's second-level behavior.  Have you
ever made this work as a first-level sort?

We have two clusters, one running 6.1u5 and the other running 6.2u2-1.
The 6.2u2-1 system appears to sort by sequence number in defiance of my
instructions to use "load" with a load formula of "slots".  I have not
actually been able to deduce a coherent pattern of behavior for the
6.1u5 system, but it is clearly not packing the jobs.

What is the "Univa repo" you refer to?

Jim