[gridengine users] "Packing" jobs on nodes

James Gladden gladden at chem.washington.edu
Fri Jun 3 16:19:23 UTC 2011

Chansup,

Yup - been there, done that.  On all my execution hosts I have set
"slots" to 8 since they are 8 core machines.  The command "qhost -F
slots" does indeed tell me the number of currently available slots on
each host - 8 for an empty node, zero for a fully occupied node, or
something in between as the case may be.  This actually relates to
another thread regarding preventing over-subscription when an execution
host serves multiple cluster queues.

So have you actually observed job packing to work on your cluster(s)?

Jim