[gridengine users] dbwriter question and SGE6.2u5

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 15:28:04 UTC 2011

William Bryce <bbryce at univa.com> writes:

> Hi Allen,
>
> Chris' web page does actually say what the difference is between the
> two binaries.  They are built from different Grid Engine repositories.
> ge-8.0alpha is built from the GitHub repository that Univa created and
> manages.  This is the 'open core' of Grid Engine used to create Univa
> Grid Engine (UGE contains some proprietary enhancements but requires
> this core).  The Other version comes from the Son Of Grid Engine
> project https://arc.liv.ac.uk/trac/SGE.  That repository is different
> than the Univa Repo and contains (I think) a different set of fixes.

It's essentailly a superset, except where Univa changes conflicted and
didn't seem better, like my change for locating libc with ldd -- it's
unforunate that things have to be re-written.  I think all the
conflicts so far are in doc and build/install stuff, but they'll probably diverge
more as we can't get  contributions into the Univa one and don't
know  what's in the pipeline

> Finally.  I'm not sure if either one fixes the Java out of memory issues.

Yes, there don't seem to be relevant changes, but
I don't know what the issue is and I don't see it.  Bug report welcome;
https://arc.liv.ac.uk/trac/SGE#mail is the only possibility as far as I know

--
Excuse the typping -- I have a broken wrist