[gridengine users] Which fork?

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Sat Jun 11 00:13:39 UTC 2011

Vadim Gutnik <gutnik at gmail.com> writes:

> This feels like a question for Miss Manners, but... which fork should I use?

I assume as a user, not contirbutor.  Up to you, but only UGE is
commercially supported as far as I know, if that's a criterion and you
can afford it.  Howvere, I can say something about them

> http://gridengine.org/blog/faq/ mentions 3 forks:
>
>  ‘Son of Grid Engine’ at: https://arc.liv.ac.uk/trac/SGE
>  Open Grid Scheduler at: http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
>  Univa Grid Engine Core at: https://github.com/gridengine/gridengine

SGE is essentially a superset of UGE.  The conflicts shouldn't be
user-visible outside man pages.  Just counting patches from Univa
and not (but some of the univa ones are quite extensive):

  sge800$ darcs log --from-tag final_sunsource --match 'name Univa' | grep '^[^ ]' | wc -l
  104
  sge800$ darcs log --from-tag final_sunsource --match 'not name Univa' | grep '^[^ ]' | wc -l
  269

The extra code changes over UGE are small so far, and should be safe.
The project is now (as far as I know) the only repo with Inspect and
SDM, if you want them, but they haven't been worked on.   It also
presevres arco's reporting component.

Reasons to use OGS seem to be that it's blessed by Oracle and done by
"experienced developers", but Rayson should speak to that.  It has few
user-visible changes over the old sunsource code.

> It's been a few months since the transition from Oracle; is there any
> movement towards concensus? Or, to put it another way: is anyone
> planning to package any of these forks for Debian or Redhat and make
> them easier to install?

I've said yes more than once.  See also
http://gridengine.org/pipermail/dev/2011-June/000045.html.

If you want rpms of something like OGS, see
http://arc.liv.ac.uk/downloads/SGE/packages/RH5/ whihc I think has more
fixes.  I haven't had time to sort dpkg, much as I might prefer
Debian.  The plan was to avoid Debian and Fedora having to patch it, at
least, but I don't understand all their current patches.

--
Excuse the typping -- I have a broken wrist