[gridengine users] Node with negative value of a consumable

Mark Dixon m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jun 14 10:38:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011, William Hay wrote:
> Assuming this is for local scratch space on Linux one thing I've been
> considering is using almost the whole disk as swap and then mounting a
> suitably sized tmpfs on $TMPDIR in the prolog
> followed by a umount in the epilog.  Have to be careful to ensure it
> didn't cause real memory to be devoted to the VFS rather than
> processes though.

Sounds smarter than the lvm/mkfs scheme I had been thinking of. However...

That's great for jobs that just need some fast local disk during the job,
but it's a problem for people wanting to use it for data to be picked up
after the job has finished (e.g. checkpoint files).

Perhaps it's less of a problem these days, if you've got a fast parallel
filesystem.

TTFN

Mark
Mark Dixon                       Email    : m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
HPC/Grid Systems Support         Tel (int): 35429
Information Systems Services     Tel (ext): +44(0)113 343 5429
University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK