[gridengine users] Node with negative value of a consumable

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Jun 14 10:51:26 UTC 2011

Am 14.06.2011 um 12:38 schrieb Mark Dixon:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011, William Hay wrote:
>> Assuming this is for local scratch space on Linux one thing I've been
>> considering is using almost the whole disk as swap and then mounting a
>> suitably sized tmpfs on $TMPDIR in the prolog
>> followed by a umount in the epilog.  Have to be careful to ensure it
>> didn't cause real memory to be devoted to the VFS rather than
>> processes though.
>
> Sounds smarter than the lvm/mkfs scheme I had been thinking of. However...
>
> That's great for jobs that just need some fast local disk during the job, but it's a problem for people wanting to use it for data to be picked up after the job has finished (e.g. checkpoint files).

For checkpoint files there are two approaches at least:

- having a shared place for checkpoint files like /home/checkpoint which I suggested in my Howto to use SGE's builtin checkpointing support (where subdirectories are cerated by the checkpointing scripts)

- having some file staging in the generated job scripts, which will copy the checkpoint files (like from Gaussian) after the job into the user's home or a subdirectory

-- Reuti