[gridengine users] Node with negative value of a consumable

Javier Lopez Cacheiro jlopez at cesga.es
Tue Jun 14 11:02:55 UTC 2011

Hi William,

>> Yes, I am aware of this limitation. In fact I would be very interested
>> in an alternative solution to control disk usage per directory. Do you
>> know if this is currently possible in GE?
>>
>> I have been thinking several times in implementing something for this
>> purpose, using dynamic disk quotas or running periodically du.
>>
> Assuming this is for local scratch space on Linux one thing I've been
> considering is using almost the whole disk as swap and then mounting a
> suitably sized tmpfs on $TMPDIR in the prolog
> followed by a umount in the epilog.  Have to be careful to ensure it
> didn't cause real memory to be devoted to the VFS rather than
> processes though.
Taking your approach has made me think of an alternative where LVM could
be used in an easy way, creating a VG for scratch and configuring the
LVs on demand for each job using the size requested. At the end the LV
would be easily removed.

To reduce the delay during filesystem creation, probably xfs could be
used that is much faster to create.

It is interesting to explore these options using prolog/epilog, even if
the final solution for all purposes would probably be implemented inside
shepperd.

Cheers,
Javier