[gridengine users] Changing execd mailer/xterm during auto install...

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Jun 17 13:36:27 UTC 2011

Am 17.06.2011 um 14:48 schrieb Dave Love:

> James Abbott <j.abbott at imperial.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> These values are the same across the cluster, so deleting the local
>> configurations seems simplest, and does appear to work fine. Foolishly, I
>> assumed that since the local configurations are created, that these were
>> actually required.
>
> For what it's worth, if you have a shared spool, the only config the
> nodes need is installing/starting execd.

This is the way I use it too. But for new users it looks like it would be necessary to "install" something on the new exechosts.

> The change from https://arc.liv.ac.uk/trac/SGE/ticket/557 for xterm's
> location should be appropriate for the majority of systems, and it is
> something the installer should probably deal with.  I assume the malier
> default is ok in the absence of wrappers.

I suggested once to leave the local configuration out at all, as the clusters I have access to have the same OS anyway and you need it only fox mixed OSes in the cluster, but Andy favored to leave it the way it is at that time.

Maybe it could be an option in the template in some way. It led to many confusions in the past, also when there are some entries for qrsh_client and alike in the local configuration and parallel jobs weren't working for them as they changed only the global setting all the time.