[gridengine users] migrate shadow master in debian/ubuntu?

Vadim Gutnik gutnik at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 22:40:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 21.06.2011 um 22:55 schrieb Vadim Gutnik:
>
>> Gridengine documentation says that to change grid masters, you
>>   $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/sgemaster -migrate
>>
>> Ubuntu (and Debian, I'd guess) have a different set of scripts.
>> sge_qmaster doesn't take a -migrate flag.
>> sge_shadowd runs, and the documentation says it can take over as the
>> master if the master stops, but...
>> I'd like to test that it works.
>>
>> So, is there a way to migrate masters in Ubuntu?
>
> did you install SGE as part of the Ubuntu installation, compiled on your own or used the latest free tarball fom SUN?

I installed it as part of the Ubuntu installation.

> Is there any documentation about the changes in these scripts for qmaster and execd noted therein?

I didn't find any. As far as I can tell, in the normal SGE build, the
-migrate flag is implemented by a set
of scripts that mostly end up calling qconf -mk hostname;
/etc/init.d/gridengine-master start or something like that, but I
didn't go through all the scripts and cases. Debian has completely
rewritten those scripts; I'm wondering if anyone here
knows what the suggested procedure is.

  Vadim