[gridengine users] A couple of questions...

Vic gridengine at beer.org.uk
Wed Jun 29 07:30:19 UTC 2011

Hi All.

I've got a couple of things I need to find out. Many apologies if the
answers are in the documentation, but I haven't been able to work stuff
out for myself (and as I'm operating on a live grid, there's only so much
experimentation I can do).

1) I have a queue full of two-core machines, and they get two slots per
machine. I now have some machines with more cores (/proc/cpuinfo says 8
cores, but they're probably not 8 real cores). If I create a queue using
just those machines, I get 8 slots on each - but if I add them to my
original queue, I only get two slots. The editing page in Qmon is greyed
out. How do I tell SGE that I've got more slots on those instances?

2) I have an application that uses SGE, but isn't well-behaved - it
launches as many jobs as it can, and swamps the grid. There doesn't appear
to be a way to tell it to limit the number of concurrent jobs launched. I
want to cause those jobs beyond a certain limit to be queued, rather than
started - but I don't want to do this with a simple ticket allocation,
because my users might (legitimately) launch multiple instances of this
tool, and also I don't want their other access to be penalised because
they are running it. I have a script solution for this (involving many
sets of complexes and a way to select one in turn), but it's horribly
complicated, and I'm sure there's a better way. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Vic.