[gridengine users] A couple of questions...

Vic gridengine at beer.org.uk
Wed Jun 29 10:32:43 UTC 2011

>> Can you provide more information about the application's startup
>> process?
>
> Err - I'll ask my customer if I'm allowed to leak any info :-)

Right - I can't go into too many specifics, but here's the gist of it:

We're using an Altera tool called Quartus DSE. This generates a set of
jobs with similar - but subtly different - parameters to try to find the
best way to lay out an FPGA. The jobs are submitted in parallel to a grid.

DSE uses LSF as its grid backend, but we've got a script (written locally)
to convert the bsub calls into qsub calls. By the time we get to this part
of the operation, we're well into the iterator, so we haven't got any info
about the other jobs in the set :-(

The job iterator in DSE is actually written in tcl, so I *could* patch
that if absolutely necessary - but as these are production tools, I don't
want to change anything unless there is no alternative, and if I do, it'll
have to be a LSF-compatible patch (that we'd then submit to Altera), and a
mod to the bsub->qsub wrapper script.

Unless, of course, anyone else has already seen this problem and knows my
analysis to be wrong (::crosses fingers and hopes someone does::)

Vic.