[gridengine users] A couple of questions...

Vic gridengine at beer.org.uk
Wed Jun 29 13:01:11 UTC 2011

> Can you alter your bsub -> qsub translater include a '-P <project>'
> string?  That way you can use an RQS to throttle the the number of jobs
> running at a time.

That's the sort of thing I'm thinking about - but unfortunately, we have
several users (who might be running several compilations each), so to use
that sort of throttling would require some nifty scripting to pick up a
new project per run; I'm not sure how to create that uniqueness yet. But
this is the sort of ugliness I'm toying with..., :-)

> You also mentioned that this was "well into the iterator".  If you use
> qsub, you essetially dump all of the jobs into the queue, and let SGE
> deal with them when it can.  You could also use qrsh or "qsub -now y".
> These will both block until the job is actually complete.

I can't easily change the invocation sequence; Quartus is separating the
jobs & dispatching each one to the grid. So if I let them all go without
dependency settings, a couple of runs will completely swamp the grid for
several hours, and no-one else can run anything. If I limit each user,
that user becomes idle as soon as he's committed a run to the grid (won't
be able to run anything else).

It isn't pretty, is it?

Vic.