[gridengine users] A couple of questions...

Vic gridengine at beer.org.uk
Wed Jun 29 13:43:33 UTC 2011

> You can set limits per user as well via RQS.

Yes, but I don't want to set limits per user; I want to set limits *per
invocation*.

Each user must be able to submit jobs after his Quartus jobs have been
queued, and have those jobs start immediately (subject to resource, of
course). Additionally, users might sometimes need to run multiple Quartus
runs and have those run independently of each other - so, for example, we
might have one user running two instances, with four jobs executing from
each instance and 12 jobs from each queuing.

> They can *submit* as many jobs as they want, in that they are sent to
> SGE (up to the limits set by max_u_jobs, max_jobs, and other limits),
> but only a certain number of them will run at a given time.

Indeed - but if I limit the total number of jobs a user can run to a
sensible level, then that user can't do any work after submitting a
Quartus run. We might as well send him home...

> 3) We encourage the users to submit "more, smaller" jobs to SGE when
> possible.  This creates a higher job throughput, and a faster "churn"
> rate, which leads to a more fair distribution of CPU cycles (we mostly
> use functional shares for this).

This isn't something over which I have any control; we're using commercial
tools, and they submit jobs that are the size they are. Typically, we
expect 4hrs+ per job, but 24 hours isn't unknown.

Vic.