[gridengine users] Get num slots in interactive session

Chris Jewell chris.jewell at warwick.ac.uk
Tue May 17 14:20:00 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Does anybody have a (simple) way of obtaining the requested number of slots for, say, a parallel SMP interactive session from within that session?  I'm currently having an issue with Matlab spawning too many threads and causing load average problems: Matlab by default uses as many threads as there are CPUs on a physical machine, but I use core binding to control such unwise assumptions.  Therefore, for optimum performance, it would be really useful to write a script in the matlabrc file that grabs the number of requested SMP slots, and sets the maxNumCompThreads accordingly.

Chris

--
Dr Chris Jewell
Department of Statistics