[gridengine users] FW: How to edit batch file of running job

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon May 30 14:55:51 UTC 2011

Hi,

Am 30.05.2011 um 07:18 schrieb Rayson Ho:

> Nice to see you on the list again!
>
> I think in most cases, the script is mapped into memory, rather than
> read by the interpreter a few bytes each time a statement executes, so
> most likely changing the script has zero effect. But sometimes it can
> cause the job to fail, it all depends on how it is submitted and how
> the "shebangs" interpreter handles the script.

yeah, it happened to me once that I noticed a cosmetic failure in a
running script (outside of SGE) and while the script was still running
I tried to edit the script before I forget this issue. At some time
later the running script crashed, but I don't recall the error
message. I was also in the opinion, that a script with a few kB will
be read at once into memory and it's safe to edit the script. But in
the end Im learned that it's not the case and the source of a running
script shouldn't be touched.

NB: Having classic spooling it should be possible to edit the copy of
the script SGE saved, but it won't change the already read resource
request(s), just the statements. But I would prefer to resubmit the
(corrected) job and maybe change the priority by hand.

-- Reuti