[gridengine users] Beware Univa FUD

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Nov 9 18:14:17 UTC 2011

I've been told that Univa have been giving customers a "health warning"
to avoid Son of Grid Engine, the community distribution.  They claim I'm
distributing Sun proprietary material, and am lucky Oracle lawyers
haven't descended yet.

Actually, the Sun material is all from the defunct sunsource.net under a
free licence
<https://arc.liv.ac.uk/trac/SGE/wiki/WikiStart#CopyrightandNaming>, used
in the spirit of the old project manifesto; see also archive.org.
Oracle even offered to supply it directly.  I can't see anything of
Sun's the gridengine team (now at Univa?) are likely to have put there
inadvertently, but that would be Oracle's problem and presumably Univa's
if it was in the gridengine or arco repo.  As far as I know, the only
SGE-related proprietary stuff even accessible to non-customers is/was
obsolete binaries -- whose licence Sun/Oracle people effectively told us
to ignore anyway -- and the old documentation/blueprints.

I've no idea why they feel the need to attack underhandedly --
specifically amongst colleagues and potential employers -- the
professional reputation of someone who mis-guidedly offered support, but
others should beware.

[Apologies not to have been able to respond to things here recently, and
there seems to be plenty that needs a response if I can find time.
Anyhow, now for something more constructive.]