[gridengine users] Beware Univa FUD

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Nov 15 23:37:05 UTC 2011

Rayson Ho <rayrayson at gmail.com> writes:

> 2) Also, I usually don't want to say bad things about Univa because I
> used to work with Bill, so I know Bill in person. However, since Dave
> (who almost fully trusted Univa at the beginning)

Yes, it's distasteful.  Regarding trust, perhaps I'm not as cynical as I
thought...

> is making things public, I will just share what I experienced.

I don't like it, but I don't see any alternative short of trying to drag
colleagues into legal action, which would be out of the question.

> However, I found out later on that Univa Grid Engine is open-core
> instead of open source, so this is not really telling me the truth (or
> for the benefit of the doubt, only telling me part of the truth).

I wonder why the difference -- I was told "open core" initially.  I'm a
free software person, but as long as there was work on features or bug
fixes released freely, and no impediment to re-implementing proprietary
bits (I was assured), the community would benefit and it was worth
supporting.  At least we got a few months worth of changes, even if we
did waste time on the steering committee, for instance.