[gridengine users] Useful side effect of profiling. Any harmful ones?

William Hay w.hay at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Nov 16 11:10:59 UTC 2011

I added PROFILE=1 to the params of sched_conf in order to measure
where the scheduler was spending its time.  I discovered a fortuitous
side effect is that any "job BLAH should have finished since" lines
appear between
the PROF: sge_mirror  and PROF: static urgency lines.  We have a
script that processes the message file to report these problem jobs to
us and up till now we've been using a fudge factor on the time to
determine if the problem is current
or not.  It looks like we can use the profiling lines to separate
problems that were still current on the last scheduling cycle from
earlier ones as they appear in the same place regardless of how long
the scheduling cycle took.
Can anyone see any problems with this approach?  Are there any
negative side effects to having PROFILING enabled all the time
(presumably it doesn't eat much CPU or it wouldn't be much use)?

William