[gridengine users] oracle's online course for gridengine, any good?

Rick Reynolds II Rick.ReynoldsII at ecitele.com
Mon Oct 3 14:14:08 UTC 2011

Thanks for the pointers to other materials.  I'm off to do some reading.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
"Proper treatment will cure a cold in seven days, but left to itself, a cold will hang on for a week." -- Darrell Huff

On Sep 29, 2011, at 3:42 PM, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> The biggest complaint about Sun's SGE training classes was that the
> instructors were professional trainers rather than people who had
> actually used Grid Engine. That matters a lot in technical training -
> the war stories & "mistakes I've made" anecdotes are pretty important.
>
> Not sure about their online offering, never seen it. The training
> materials were pretty solid back in the day so if they just ported them
> online they might still be very useful.
>
> I've also uploaded all of my Grid Engine training slides and materials
> to the bioteam blog over time. Both my SGE Admin and User materials are
> up there (but somewhat out of date ...)
>
> http://www.bioteam.net/2011/03/grid-engine-for-users/
>
> -Chris
>

> Rick Reynolds II wrote:
>> Does anyone have info about Oracle's gridengine online course: http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getCourseDesc?dc=D63323GC10&p_org_id=47&lang=US ?
>>
>> We're looking at deploying three or four small-ish (i.e. 30 nodes or so) clusters run by gridengine as a replacement for a home-grown queueing system that is showing its age.  I'd like to develop a little proficiency in the system before attempting to develop something using it.
>>
>> So is the course worthwhile?  It's certainly cheap enough to tempt me to give it a shot ($300).  Or will I be in about the same place if I just keep reading every doc I can get my hands on from oracle's site?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rick Reynolds

This e-mail message is intended for the recipient only and contains information which is CONFIDENTIAL and which may be proprietary to ECI Telecom. If you have received this transmission in error, please inform us by e-mail, phone or fax, and then delete the original and all copies thereof.