[gridengine users] changing your own job's order

William Hay w.hay at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Oct 7 09:09:42 UTC 2011

On 7 October 2011 09:45, Balint Takacs <takbal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I somehow change the *relative* priority of my own jobs?
> I am working in a company environment where lots of people are competing for
> grid resources, and jobs usually has to queue. Some of my jobs are more
> important than others, but they sometimes submitted later. In this case I
> have to wait for the start of the high priority job until all the previous
> lower priority jobs started.
> I have tried to lower the priority of all my other waiting jobs by 'qalter
> -p -1', but it had no effect.
> Additionally, if I got the documentation correctly, priority is understood
> over all jobs, not just mine. So this may put me in a disadvantage in the
> queue execution order relative to others.
> We are using an ancient 6.0u8 version of SGE. I have no administrator rights
> at all.
> Any suggestions welcome!
Not sure if it is present in version 6.0 but in 6.2 there is a -js
option that should allow you to attract any functional or fair share
tickets to the high priority job.  The default is 0 so submitting with
any positive value should ensure that a job attracts any such tickets
available to you.  This will depend a bit on your local policy so if
,as it appears, you aren't the local administrator check with them.

William