[gridengine users] Questions about SGE

He, Janet (NIH/NIAID) [C] xiaoqing.he at nih.gov
Thu Oct 27 16:22:52 UTC 2011

Hi all,

1.  What is the purpose of all.q in SGE?  What is the optimize way to configure all.q?  Should all.q have all the cores in the cluster or a subset of the cores?  Since the host list for all.q includes all the nodes in the cluster, when jobs submit to this queue, how to manage the oversubscribtion for those nodes that also belong to other queues?
2.  Is there a way to assign node to multiple queues but not make the node over subscribed? Are there any tips or reference site with the information?
3. How exactly np_load_avg used in the job scheduing?  Is this applying to all the nodes in the queue?  How do I calculate the value for np_load_avg if the nodes specification in the queue are not the same?
4.  If a node is hyper-threading enabled, should we count the real core number in SGE or using the hyper-threading core number in SGE, i.e for 8-core node,  with hyper-threading, the core becomes 16.   Should SGE uses 8 or 16 in the configuration?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Janet He
Linux/HPC Team