[gridengine users] How to do a more complicated queue sort

Bill Hoover hoover at deadmoose.com
Mon Oct 31 21:16:49 UTC 2011

I've been trying to figure out a way to get the queue sorting to work
like I'd prefer, but so far haven't come up with any good ideas.  I'd
appreciate any suggestions (GE 6.2u5).

Currently I have:
queue_sort_method                 load
job_load_adjustments              NONE
load_adjustment_decay_time        0:0:00
load_formula                      -slots

On a system with uniform nodes this would operate just as I want, and
with minimal scheduling load (we bang lots of jobs through this).

An example of the problem is on of my systems.  It has 2 sets of nodes.
set 1 has 14 machines with older Xeon processors, 8 cores per node.
set 2 has 14 machines with Westmere processors, 12 cores per node, but
for our application HT gives a 15-20% overall throughput boost so they
look like 24 cores per node.

Until you get about 12 jobs assigned to one of the Westmere nodes, they
are faster than the older ones.  Above that, they are slower.

So, the ideal way to distribute jobs would be to assign up to 12 jobs
per node on the set 2 machines, then assign up to 8 jobs per node to the
set 1 ones, then finish filling up the 12 HT slots on the set 2 machines.

Much of the time this isn't a real problem, since for large jobs
everything is fully saturated, and we get the full throughput.  But if
we have fewer than a full load I would prefer it to be better than the
current scheme.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill