[gridengine users] Which Grid Engine?

William Hay w.hay at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 8 09:54:53 UTC 2011

We're currently running 6.2u3 on our cluster.  We should really
upgrade this to something more current.  In particular we want to move
to something with
support for the -tc and -binding options to qsub.  While in theory we
could just grab 6.2u5 which has the features that we need right now
we'd like
to move to a version with forward momentum.  The question is which version?

We had Fritz Ferstl in yesterday to explain Univa's  commercial
offering and what they offer over and
above the common core.  Fritz also explained that contrary to our
experience Grid engine is really
buggy, unstable and hard to debug so we really need a support contract
with them:)

Does anyone want to sing the praises and explain the advantage of the
various other variants of Grid engine out there
(Univa's open core, Oracle Grid Engine, Open Grid Scheduler, the Love
child variant or even using some linux distro
which includes an SGE variant)?

William