[gridengine users] Which Grid Engine?

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 14:40:55 UTC 2011

--- On Fri, 9/9/11, Mark Dixon <m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm still a bit fuzzy on what differentiates the efforts,
> and am concerned that the projects might not be pulling in a
> common direction to benefit the community as a whole.

Mark,

In fact our existance benefits the community -- did you know that we fixed the memory accounting bug on Linux in the Open Grid Scheduler back in Aug last year, and Son of Grid Engine copied our fix? And Univa Grid Engine 8.0.0 still has that bug *as of today*, and its customers need to wait for 8.0.1 to get a fix.

And I hightly doubt Univa would put as much effort as it is now and add the hwloc support into the open core if we did not announce our hwloc support back in April:

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/projects/hwloc/GridEnginehwloc.html

Also, I strongly believe that Univa will now put more effort in to get GPU integration, IPv6 support, SGI MPT integration, etc into the open core ASAP as we are working on those features in Open Grid Scheduler.

When there is no competition, most businesses tend not to work hard to gain market share - and I don't think Univa is different.

> Isn't this what the steering committee was aiming to improve?
> As far as I can see, there's been no news posted to
> gridengine.org since February.

The page is old, and Stephen Dennis quited Univa as well.

> I'm not trying to have a go at anyone, I think everyone
> wants what is best for the community: I'm just hoping for a
> bit more constructive discussion about what that might be
> :)

I have a tendency not to trust companies, as a lot of them are somewhat dishonest and lack of integrity in order to gain a customer or two. I have not totally written off Univa yet, but what Univa posted on the website about open source Grid Engine is not true (and the ones most piss me off are "UGE Wins Hands Down" & "Free Grid Engine isn't Free"?) -- so at this point working with Univa is out of the question.

And even outout the stupid market tactics, Univa is never clear what would be put in the open core and what is closed source. I am not signing the copy right assignment - they can continue to copy my code and feature as they wanted.

 -Ron