[gridengine users] Which Grid Engine?

William Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Fri Sep 9 17:53:11 UTC 2011

LaoTsao,

If you are using any open source software which has a company behind it making (some) money off it (most do, large, medium, or small), should you then also pay for the features you use which they develop?

It's not really in the spirit of open source to worry about who's making money.
I guarantee every open source project has some people making money using it, supporting it,etc.

Even the FSF says that it's o.k. for people to make money supporting software, and getting paid to make enhancements to it. They just think all source code should be open. (As I understand it).

In my consulting business I regularly use gcc, make, scons, gridengine, bugzilla, python, perl, TCL, and a long list of open source projects.

Should I share some of my income with them?

I usually just spend time supporting and donating fixes back to them when I find them.
(And writing tests for them, most people's least favorite things to do.).

-Bill Deegan
Founder
Bad Dog Consulting