[gridengine users] Slotwise preemption and license usage.

Ben De Luca ben.deluca at nvizible.com
Tue Sep 27 10:53:46 UTC 2011

I have this scenario.

I have:
   a low priority job A that requires a consumable resource called license.
   a high priority job B that requires the same consumable resource
called license.

A has checkpoint configuration, where it will checkpoint on job suspend.

I on each computer I have two queues.

preempt.q,
notpreempt.q,

notpreempt.q has a preempt.q as a subordinate queue.

Job A is set to run in preempt.q , job B runs in notpreempt.q

Where I have an infinite number of the resource license. This happens.

A submit
A run on preempt.q at host1

B submit.
B run on notpreempt.q at host1.

A suspend
A requeues.

B competes.
A re runs on preempt.q at host1 and completes.

The way I understand it where I only have one license.
This happens.

A submit
A run on preempt.q at host1
B submit.
B  runs on  notpreempt.q at host1 once A completes and the license
resource becomes available.

Any suggestions on how to get the first behavior in the second situation.