[gridengine users] oracle's online course for gridengine, any good?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Sep 29 18:39:14 UTC 2011

Hi,

Am 28.09.2011 um 18:25 schrieb Rick Reynolds II:

> Does anyone have info about Oracle's gridengine online course: http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getCourseDesc?dc=D63323GC10&p_org_id=47&lang=US
>  ?

I can't make any statement about this particular course, as I don't
know anything about it content or quality.

> We're looking at deploying three or four small-ish (i.e. 30 nodes or
> so) clusters run by gridengine as a replacement for a home-grown
> queueing system that is showing its age.  I'd like to develop a
> little proficiency in the system before attempting to develop
> something using it.
>
> So is the course worthwhile?  It's certainly cheap enough to tempt
> me to give it a shot ($300).  Or will I be in about the same place
> if I just keep reading every doc I can get my hands on from oracle's
> site?

There are some talk slides online about SGE from Chris Dagdigian and
Daniel Templeton. You can search for each of them and limit the Google
output to filetype:pdf

I would suggest to build a cluster with some spare machines first and
try to get used to it on your own. Some "tricks" are only circulating
on the mailing list and I don't know whether they are somewhere in any
teaching material.

Some Howtos: http://arc.liv.ac.uk/SGE/howto/

-- Reuti