[gridengine users] Evaluating different scheduler strategies by simulating a past workflow

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Sep 29 18:45:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

Am 29.09.2011 um 15:02 schrieb Fabio Martinelli:

> Dear Sun Grid Engine colleagues
>
> is there a way to apply again a past workflow by using information
> like that stored inside the ARCO DB, the reporting file or the
> accounting file ?
>
> obviously with a shorter time scale and we don't mind about about
> memory consumption and I/O, just slots assignment.

for this you will need to set up a share-tree policy. If you don't
take the CPU usage into account, one can set: ACCT_RESERVED_USAGE and
SHARETREE_RESERVED_USAGE in SGE's configuration (man sge_conf). As it
then reflects the granted CPU time (and not the actual used one), you
can devide it (the CPU time) by wallclock time and get the slot count.

> basically we need to understand if the actual scheduler policy is
> "fair", at least according to our personal concept of "fairness";

Well, this is only your personal view. What do you judge as "fair"?
Same slot count in the cluster for running jobs? Same slot count in
the last 7 days, independet how long they ran?

-- Reuti