[gridengine users] RE : New user and new install

Lionel SPINELLI spinelli at ciml.univ-mrs.fr
Tue Apr 17 07:33:30 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I would like to thanks all the people who helped me in my first GE installation. I successfully install the grid here in my lab using the GUI installer (for the master node) and the CLI for the exec nodes. Now, I have the rest of my life to try mastering it :).

>From my point of view, offering a GUI for the master node is really important because it offers to immediatly understand what are the configuration key points and correctly identify them. Using he GUI I was able to easily restart the install several time, improving my understanding and the customization of the install each time. At the end, I even used the expert install to exactly choose the component I desired.
Installing exec nodes with CLI once the master node has been installed and understood is really simple. So, from my point of view, all the procedure requiring password-less accesses to install exec node from GUI is usefull only for large deployment (but in that case the password-less ssh concept may be refused by system managers). For little/tiny grid, installing exec nodes from CLI is far more simple.

Thanks again

Lionel

PS: I will certainly come back with configuration questions ;-)

De : Rayson Ho [rayson at scalablelogic.com]
Date d'envoi : vendredi 13 avril 2012 22:37
À : Lionel SPINELLI; Hung-Sheng Tsao (LaoTsao) Ph.D
Cc : users at gridengine.org
Objet : Re: [gridengine users] RE : RE : New user and new install

Thanks Hung-Sheng for the feedback. Let's see if we can create a
cleaner source tarball for the next release.

Like Sun, we wanted to spend more time on features and less than on
enhancing the build process. However, this means we need to ship a
binary tarball that includes everything... From now on the GUI
installer will be part of the binary release.

Lionel, thanks for pointing out that you wanted to use the Java
installer. I just built installer.jar and used it to install a Grid
Engine cluster. I will document the techniques to debug issues when
the Java GUI Installer fails (and thus this means it is a supported
feature of Scalable Grid Engine Support). I tested it on 2 distros
with different JVMs.

I just uploaded a new package with the GUI installer:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47200624/respin/ge2011.11.tar.gz

Thanks Hung-Sheng and Prentice for the replies, and also Chris for
documenting the build. I read the comments on his page and found that
people *do use* the Java Installer!

Rayson