[gridengine users] Parallel Environment

Joseph Farran jfarran at uci.edu
Tue Jun 5 01:08:54 UTC 2012

Hi All.

I am trying to understand OGE parallel environment.

I am coming from Torque/PBS where one simply asks for the number of nodes and cores (ppn) when running with a parallel program like an MPI job.

With OGE, it appears that a "parallel environment" must first be setup for each parallel flavor (correct me if I am wrong), like a PE for mpich, another for OpenMPI, and so on.    MPI jobs are requested with something like this:

     #$ -pe mpich2  64

Telling OGE to use the "mpich" Parallel Environment requesting 64 slots (cores).

Is there a way of having a generic/default PE environment so one can simple say:

     #$ -pe 64

In our environment, there are *many* users with their own parallel type of programs and I like to have a generic PE being the default, but I don't know if you can get away with not specifying a PE name?

One other question.   We have a cluster here running sge6.2 and it has a PE for mpich with "Allocation Rule" set to  "Round Robin".   Should this not be set to "Fill Up" to fill up all cores on the first node before continuing with the next next node?     I am trying to understand if this was an oversight when it was setup or if there is a reason for this?

Thanks,
Joseph