[gridengine users] Linux Groups

Rayson Ho rayson at scalablelogic.com
Fri Jun 8 18:19:46 UTC 2012

Thanks William - I was also wondering how others do this in the field.

As far as I know, only the primary group is considered - it was like
that since many, many years ago. But I was not sure how you guys
define ACLs that need to handle the non-primary group case.

IMO, using external tools to sync. Unix group membership to Grid
Engine internal ACL is a bit less nice, but that's what we can do for
now.

And it may not be due to performance reasons - I have not looked into
this issue in detail but I believe it has to do with the Grid Engine
protocol. I was going to check if Grid Engine sends the non-primary
group IDs during job submission, but if Joseph is OK with using a cron
job to sync. membership then I can leave it aside for now - I will
need to work on a few more urgent things but will have more time later
this month.

Rayson