[gridengine users] Problems with dmtcp migration between processor versions

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Sun Nov 18 23:19:15 UTC 2012

Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> writes:

>> I don't know how proprietary libraries, such as for BLAS adjust to
>> different ABIs, but they may set up dispatch tables initially, not on
>> each call, so compilation options might not make any difference.
>
> If it would be compiled for only one platform, then there wouldn't be
> any alternate execution path. But it's indeed strange that a better
> processor had this problem.

I meant that they may dispatch on something like cpuid to adjust to the
architecture at runtime, and presumably maintain the state for the
architecture on which they start.  I guess you could get the same sort
of thing for dynamic compilation ("JIT"?).

>> Presumably it would be a reasonable feature to have an option only to
>> restart with the same resources as granted originally.
>
> If it's only the CPU type (and a fixed PE incase a wildcard request
> was used initially), it should be possible to use `qalter` before
> killing the process to limit it to such type of nodes/PEs.

How do you access the list of granted resources (as apposed to requested
ones)?  I thought that needed (a free) implementation, which I want for
other reasons.

--
Community Grid Engine:  http://arc.liv.ac.uk/SGE/