[gridengine users] Configure gridengine on CentOS 6.3

Petter Gustad gridengine at gustad.com
Tue Oct 30 13:20:23 UTC 2012

From: Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>
Subject: Re: [gridengine users] Configure gridengine on CentOS 6.3
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:27:49 +0100

Thank you for your reply.

> Am 30.10.2012 um 10:53 schrieb Petter Gustad:
>
>> Does anybody have a pointer to GRE installation docs for CentOS 6.3?
>>
>> I've been running GRE version 6.2u5p2 (built from source) on Gentoo
>> systems for some time. Now I'm trying to add some new nodes running
>> CentOS 6.3 using the gridengine-6.2u5-10.el6.4.x86_64 package.
>

> Just use the version you have already in the shared /usr/sge or your
> particular mountpoint.

I should probably try this first, at least to verify that it's
working. But later I would like to migrate to the CentOS on all my
exechosts and leave the installation to somebody else.

> For exechosts there is no real installation necessary. It's
> sufficient to add the new exechosts as adminhosts, and then start
> the sgeexecd on the nodes (you might want to install it in
> /etc/init.d/sgeexecd or alike with appropriate links so that they
> start while booting). The script you will find in
> /usr/sge/default/common/sgeexecd.

I'll try this manual approach.

> During startup of the sgeexecd they will become exechosts
> automatically in SGE's list of exyechosts.

> NB: It's not advisable to mix different versions of SGE in a cluster
> (while it's fine to mix different platforms of the the same
> version).

OK. I will try to get the old version running first, then migrate to
the more recent version as I replace Gentoo with CentOS on the
exechosts.

> PS: You installed SGE in addition locally on each node with the
> gridengine-6.2u5-10.el6.4.x86_64 package? It might get confused
> having more than one version of the tools.

There is not PATH pointing to the old version. When I first tried the
old version was not even mounted.

However, I would assume CentOS users with no previous installation
would experince the same problem.

Thank you again for your helpful reply.

Best regards
//Petter