[gridengine users] Exclusive host access + h_vmem

Julien Nicoulaud julien.nicoulaud at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 20:56:16 UTC 2012

2012/10/29 Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>

> Hi,
>
> Am 29.10.2012 um 17:30 schrieb Julien Nicoulaud:
>
> > I have a special queue for exclusive host access using a forced boolean
> complex + subordinate queues, as described here:
> https://blogs.oracle.com/templedf/entry/exclusive_host_access_with_grid.
> >
> > Now I'm in the process of setting up forced memory reservation:
> >       • Turned h_vmem into a consumable resource
> >       • Set up a value on each exec host
> > It works just fine except for the case of the exclusive queue: it makes
> no sense getting exclusive access to a host and not being able to use all
> its memory. Is there a way to:
> >       • Somehow automatically set requested h_vmem to granted host h_vmem
> >       • Or even just exclude this queue from h_vmem checking
> > Does anyone know a good "pattern" for dealing with this case ?
>
> you mean: if some requests exclusive access, to adjust h_vmem accordingly?

Yes, I want to automatically set the job h_vmem to the host max (as
configured with qconf -me <host>).

> In principle a JSV (job submission verifier) could do. But for parallel
> jobs it might depend on the actual allocation which is used during
> scheduling what would be feasible. Are you also requesting e dedicated
> amount of cores per machine? Are you executing more then one time `qrsh
> -inherit` to  a slave node?
>
> Background for this question is, that on the master node of the parallel
> job, the job script will get h_vmem multiplied by the granted slots on this
> machine (as any h_vmem request is per slot). But for each `qrsh -inherit`
> it will be granted only once. So it could be necessary to request the
> number of machines instead and for each to request the full memory.

I do have some parallel jobs running in this queue, but no core binding,
and no "qrsh -inherit".

But anyway, before handling the case of parallel jobs, I took a dive into
the JSV docs/samples, and I must say I'm quite confused on how you do that
with a JSV. I can't see how one can get information about the "elected"
host in the JSV, or am I missing something obvious ?