[gridengine users] reservation state and monitoring

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 22:23:43 UTC 2012

Steve Schmerler <elcortogm at googlemail.com> writes:

>> It's reserving all the slots it might need not just the ones that are
>> currently free but the ones it anticipates being free.  If it didn't
>> do this it might in some circumstances
>> overcommit occupied slots.
>
> OK yes, I saw that it always reserves the requested number of slots, free
> or not. Makes sense. Does the system switch reservation from used to free
> slots if more slots become free (I guess that's default)?

I don't understand the question, but it will try to make reservations as
early as possible possibly within other constraints.  I'm not sure how
accurately it reflects the implementation, but maybe see
<http://arc.liv.ac.uk/repos/darcs/sge/doc/devel/rfe/resource_reservation.txt>.

> Another question, related to reservation:
>
> We have two PEs, which differ only in allocation_rule. The PE with
>     allocation_rule $fill_up
> does reservation, while
>     allocation_rule 8
> (to request complete 8-core nodes) doesn't. Why may that be?

If that means reservations are only made in the first PE, we can only
guess, but all the reservations currently in our system are for PEs with
allocation_rule N.  We don't have overlaps with $fill_up PEs on the same
hosts, though.

--
Community Grid Engine:  http://arc.liv.ac.uk/SGE/