[gridengine users] X11 not working after qlogin

William Hay w.hay at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 19 08:36:13 UTC 2013

On 19 March 2013 08:03, Infinity <19f191ty at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using the following setup to connect to university compute cluster.
>
> Windows laptop --(ssh)---> uni server --(ssh)----> sungrid main
> --(qlogin)---> compute cluster
>
> I have putty and xming Xserver on windows. I want to run matlab or other
> graphic applications on the compute cluster and see their display on my
> windows machine.
>
> Everything works fine just before qlogin, until the sungrid main machine. I
> can get xclock and even matlab running from sungrid_main machine. But the
> moment I do qlogin to login to the cluster this stops being the case. xclock
> from the cluster gives an error "display not set".
> I tried setting the display to $DISPLAY variable on the sungrid_main machine
> but that just gives an error saying cannot connect. I don't understand
> what's wrong here. Can someone please help. I found some potential solutions
> on Google which asked me edit the /etc/ssh/sshd_conf or run qconf. The
> trouble is that I don't have root privileges, so I cannot do this. Is there
> any alternative?
>
> Thank You.
Qlogin is grid engine's telnet equivalent.  Telnet doesn't normally
forward X or environment variables so neither does qlogin.
You may be able to set DISPLAY by hand after logging in with qlogin.
Qrsh is closer to rsh/ssh and can pass environment variables (check
out the -display and -V and -v options
in the man page) so you could use that instead.
Qsh is a command that specifically launches an xterm on the cluster so
if it works you should definitely have working X forwarding.
Having said that grid engine can bet set up in a lot of ways(we
disable qsh for instance) you could try asking the local
admin/consulting the local documentation
on how to launch X jobs on the cluster.

William