[gridengine users] qalter adding and not overwriting?

Joseph Farran jfarran at uci.edu
Sat Mar 30 20:24:07 UTC 2013

On 3/30/2013 5:06 AM, Reuti wrote:
> It's necessary to copy/paste the former request which you can get out of `qstat -j <job_id>`. This can be also put in a wrapper in case you need it more often from the entries:
>
> hard_queue_list:
> jid_predecessor_list (req):

Thanks Reuti.

I have a script which is pulling that information and thus adding it now.

The reason for trying to have qalter be the one to "add" the data and not my script is due to race conditions.

I have a restart function for job arrays and in our case, I can have several job elements all wanting to qalter and add hold_hid at the same time, so wanted to have qalter be the one doing the update.
Yes, I will need to use some kind of locking mechanism so that each qalter wont over-write the other.

Best,
Joseph