[gridengine users] Formula to calculate job's priority

Sangamesh Banappa sangamesh.banappa at locuz.com
Wed May 1 14:51:17 UTC 2013

Hi,

The cluster is configured with share based policy (user based) with equal shares (100 shares) for all.

As per the below link:

http://arc.liv.ac.uk/SGE/htmlman/htmlman5/sge_priority.html

The job's priority is calculated as follows:

prio    = weight_priority * npprio +
                    weight_urgency  * nurg +
                    weight_ticket   * ntckts
Let's take an example, a parallel job of 20 cores to analyze this. There are no other requests like #$ -l in the script..

The value of npprio would be zero. Because there is no #$ -p <posix priority value> mentioned in job script & admin also does not set priority for a job manually.

Further,

nurg = normalized urgency

urg = rrcontr + wtcontr + dlcontr

There is no user configured under deadline users group. So dlcontr should be zero. ??

rrcontr = sum of all (hrr)

hrr = rurg * assumed_slot_allocation * request

rurg -> taken from qconf -sc | grep slots. 1000 is the value under urgency column.

assumed_slot_allocation = 20 (taken from #$ -pe orte 20)

request = NONE, hence it is 0 (There is no other resource request #$ -l )

Next is "wtcontr". How to get the value for waiting_time contribution? Is it calculated on this job only or is it a sum of waiting_time of all previous jobs by the same user?

I'm stuck here. Please guide me to do further calculation.

Thanks in advance