[gridengine users] Formula to calculate job's priority

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed May 1 15:06:26 UTC 2013

Hi,

Am 01.05.2013 um 16:51 schrieb Sangamesh Banappa:

>         The cluster is configured with share based policy (user based) with equal shares (100 shares) for all.
>
>         As per the below link:
>
>          http://arc.liv.ac.uk/SGE/htmlman/htmlman5/sge_priority.html
>
>         The job's priority is calculated as follows:
>
>           prio    = weight_priority * npprio +
>                     weight_urgency  * nurg +
>                     weight_ticket   * ntckts
>
>       Let's take an example,  a parallel job of 20 cores to analyze this. There are no other requests like #$ -l  in the script..
>
>       The value of npprio would be zero. Because there is no #$ -p <posix priority value> mentioned in job script & admin also does not set priority for a job  manually.
>
>        Further,
>
>        nurg =  normalized urgency
>
>        urg = rrcontr + wtcontr + dlcontr
>
>        There is no user configured under deadline users group. So dlcontr should be zero.  ??
>
>        rrcontr = sum of all (hrr)
>
>        hrr = rurg  * assumed_slot_allocation * request
>
>        rurg -> taken from qconf -sc | grep slots. 1000 is the value under urgency column.
>
>        assumed_slot_allocation = 20 (taken from #$ -pe orte 20)

This is of course an implied resource request for slots.

>        request = NONE, hence it is 0 (There is no other resource request #$ -l  )
>
>        Next is "wtcontr". How to get the value for waiting_time contribution? Is it calculated on this job only or is it a sum of waiting_time of all previous jobs by the same user?
>
>        I'm stuck here. Please guide me to do further calculation.

One way to check this behavior could be to set "weight_waiting_time 1.00000" together with "report_pjob_tickets TRUE" in the scheduler configuration and have a look at `qstat -urg`. Also worth to note are `qstat -pri` and `qstat -ext` for the overall computation.

-- Reuti