[gridengine users] Question about load average and slots and non-SGE-managed tasks...

Stephen Spencer spencer at cs.washington.edu
Tue May 7 17:09:21 UTC 2013

Good morning.

I'm administering a cluster of machines with SGE (6.2u5, from the RHEL
distro) and have a question concerning the scheduler's behavior. (I'm
rather new to SGE.)

On this cluster, users can and do log in (via 'ssh') and run computational
tasks on cluster nodes, which ties up resources but not an SGE 'slot'
because the tasks aren't submitted through SGE.

My question is this: does SGE take into consideration the current load
average on a node when assigning tasks? For example, given two nodes with
equivalent numbers of slots, and one node has a load average of 10 and the
other 0, will SGE send a waiting job to the node with less load?

I see "load_thresholds   np_load_avg=1.75" in the output of "qconf -sq
all.q" and am guessing that if the value of "np_load_avg" on a given host,
as SGE calculates it, is greater than 1.75, tasks will be assigned
elsewhere first, but that's only a guess. Confirmation, or clarification of
what this means, would be wonderful.

Thank you.

Best,
--