[gridengine users] Son of Grid Engine / builtin interactive problem (split from 'building Sun of Grid Engine)

Tina Friedrich Tina.Friedrich at diamond.ac.uk
Fri May 24 12:18:46 UTC 2013

Hello,

I thought to try & split this of the building/running Son of Grid Engine
as a non-root user discussion.

 >> Haven't had time to progress with this setup much; is there any
 >> documentation on how the 'inbuild' qrsh etc work?

 >Not past the source, I'm afraid.

Pity :)

 >> As at the moment, my
 >> test installation works, and I can submit jobs (and they run), but
 >> interactive sessions don't work - I get a commlib error:
 >>
 >> [kdf51254 at ws112 ~]$ qrsh
 >> error: commlib error: got read error (closing
 >> "cs04r-sc-com99-04.diamond.ac.uk/shepherd_ijs/2")
 >>
 >> Didn't have that problem on my old 6.2 installation

 > Check the logs (messages files) for any clues.  I don't think it has
 > those symptoms, but there appears to be a race in the threading of the
 > builtin startup that appears on recent Ubuntu, for instance, but   .
 > doesn't on RHEL5 or 6 in our experience.  You can still use ssh per
 > remote_startup(5).

Haven't found anything in the logs yet, really.

I have a ssh-based qlogin method, as we require X forwarding; that
works. I just used to have it set to 'builtin' for qrsh etc (anything
not qlogin) - ssh isn't set up for host authentication (don't want
that), and things like MPI of course require non-authenticated qrsh (if
I'm not mistaken).

Tina

--
Tina Friedrich, Computer Systems Administrator, Diamond Light Source Ltd
Diamond House, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus - 01235 77 8442