[gridengine users] Welcome Home Grid Engine!

Mark Dixon m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Oct 22 13:17:19 UTC 2013

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, John Kloss wrote:

> Should we assume that, since Univa claims ownership of all copyright and
> trademarks, _including_ the code under the SISSL, that Univa will be
> fighting to shutdown the open source versions of Grid Engine (open
> gridscheduler and Son of Grid Engine)?
>
>   John Kloss II.

Yikes! That's a rather pessimistic reading, isn't it?

The copyright of any code, even for free and open source software, is
owned by someone. What matters is what they have licensed it to be used
for. Last I checked, the OSI considers SISSL to be open source.

Feel free to call me naive, but this announcement sounds like good news to
me - Oracle were clearly not interested in gridengine. Congratulations to
Fritz, the engineers and Univa :)

Mark
Mark Dixon                       Email    : m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
HPC/Grid Systems Support         Tel (int): 35429
Information Systems Services     Tel (ext): +44(0)113 343 5429
University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK