[gridengine users] Upgrading form SGE to OGE

Tina Friedrich Tina.Friedrich at diamond.ac.uk
Tue Sep 10 09:40:24 UTC 2013

Hi Txema,

I recently upgrades our Grid Engine from SGE6.2u4 (I think it was) to
OGE8.1.3. No rocks though, so I don't know any details on that.

What I basically did was:

1) compile and install OGE into a different path
2) configure OGE to use different communication ports than our old
installation
3) dump and import our configuration (using the provided scripts)

I then simply ran both SGE6.2 and OGE8.1.3 initially (so it would be
easy to fall back), and disabled all queues on the old installation.

SGE6.2 and OGE8.1.3 execd's happily coexist on the same nodes; however,
I found that the qmaster processes don't, unfortunately.

But yes, there are no real problems having both in the system / active -
as long as their communication ports are different.

I can't remember if I ever tried having SGE6.2 execds talk to OGE8.1.3 -
our installation is on an NFS share (i.e. not local to the nodes), so I
do not actually need to install anything on the nodes to start the
execd; and as I said, I simply started both execds, at least for an
initial period.

Tina