[gridengine users] qsub -tc / max tasks not working on SoGE 8.1.x - solved

Black, Chris chris.black at roche.com
Mon Sep 16 20:45:16 UTC 2013

I have fixed the issue on our cluster by reverting previous config changes
I made to support large task arrays:
max_aj_instances = 0
max_aj_tasks = 500000

Reverting these back to their defaults of 2000 and 75000 allowed -tc to
work properly. I was also able to raise max_aj_tasks back to 500000.

According to the docs, setting max_aj_instances to zero deactivates the
limit of max array tasks to run simultaneously per array job. It may be
that it also bypasses the user-specified -tc limit.

Best,
Chris

PS Thanks to Hugh MacMullan @upenn for privately pointing out -tc worked
fine in a default cluster which led me to hunting down changes.

--
Chris Black
Linux Administrator