[gridengine users] start_gui_installer SGE 8.1.4

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Sep 19 16:12:39 UTC 2013

Joseph Farran <jfarran at uci.edu> writes:

> Howdy.
>
> We are running Son of Grid Engine 8.1.3.
>
> I compiled 8.1.4 and downloaded and un-tar the gui_installer-8.1.4.tar into the compiled directory.

Why do you want the GUI installer if you're doing an upgrade?  Does it
actually support upgrades?

> When I run ./start_gui_installer all is well and 8.1.4 GUI starts up just fine, but 3 screens later, it bombs with:

I can't reproduce that, at least with the version I have installed.

> Exception in thread "Thread-0" java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Expecting non-static method com.izforge.izpack.installer.InstallerFrame.getRules()Lcom/izforge/izpack/rules/RulesEngine;
>         at com.izforge.izpack.panels.UserInputPanel.updateVariables(Unknown Source)
>         at com.izforge.izpack.panels.UserInputPanel.init(Unknown Source)
>         at com.izforge.izpack.panels.UserInputPanel.panelActivate(Unknown Source)
>         at com.izforge.izpack.installer.InstallerFrame.switchPanel(Unknown Source)
>         at com.izforge.izpack.installer.InstallerFrame.navigateNext(Unknown Source)
>         at com.izforge.izpack.installer.InstallerFrame.skipPanel(Unknown Source)
>         at com.sun.grid.installer.gui.ActionPanel$1.run(ActionPanel.java:152)
>

> What is wrong?    I am not a java person.

No shame in that!  I could only search for documentation on the
exception.

It's possible that running with the undocumented -debug flag or
comparing the output of
  java -verbose -jar ./util/gui-installer/installer.jar
between the working and non-working cases will reveal something.

> The 8.1.3 GUI works just fine.    Can I use the 8.1.3 GUI for the 8.1.4 SGE version?

There's essentially no difference between them, so I've no idea why they
should behave differently
<https://arc.liv.ac.uk/trac/SGE/log/sge-release/source/clients/gui-installer>.
I assume you're at least using the same environment in each case.

--
Java is the most distressing thing to hit computing since MS-DOS.  — Alan Kay