[gridengine users] Can a 6.2u5 node talk to a 6.2u3 cluster?

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 15:48:10 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> There is no need to install GridEngine on the new node at all. Usually you share /usr/sge or alike and have access to binaries and (more important) the shared configuration of the actual used cell (like /usr/sge/default/common) so that the execd knowns the actual qmaster which it has to contact.

Well I tried to do an install from my /gridware/sge NFS mount and it
told me that the version of GridEngine which is there was no
compatible with my Ubuntu 13.04 box.

> How is your setup right now and how do the other nodes know about the actual qmaster? Are all GridEngine binaries local or already shared?

The are all on /gridware/sge e.g.

[root at solexa4 ~]# ps -ef | grep sge
sgeadmin  4553     1  0 Sep16 ?        00:41:52
/gridware/sge/bin/lx24-amd64/sge_execd

But given the above problem I was going to go with local install.   On
Ubuntu there is /etc/default/gridengine and so I set in there :

SGE_ROOT=/gridware/sge

Then I added the execution node on the master and it knows about the
ubuntu machine but cannot talk to it.  e.g. it is "solexa1" below.
The other nodes are all my RHEL5 / CentOS5 boxes.

[root at solexa4 ~]# qstat -f
linux26.q at solexa3              BIP   0/0/8          0.00     lx24-amd64
linux26.q at solexa4              BIP   0/0/8          0.00     lx24-amd64
linux26.q at solexa5              BIP   0/0/8          0.03     lx24-amd64
linux26.q at solexa6              BIP   0/0/12         0.04     lx24-amd64
linux38.q at solexa1              BIP   0/0/2          -NA-     -NA-          au
matlab.q at solexa6               BIP   0/0/12         0.04     lx24-amd64
[root at solexa4 ~]#